(Protein Rich Economical Livestock/Poultry Feed)
Azolla is a unique freshwater fern that is one of the fastest growing plants on the planet due
to its symbiotic relationship with a cyanobacterium (‘blue-green alga’) called Anabaena. Azolla‘s
rapid growth makes it a potentially important sequester of the gas carbon which is converted directly into Azolla‘s biomass. Azolla acts as local livestock feed, biofertilizer and biofuel
- Hosts a symbiotic blue green algae Anabaena azolle, which is responsible for the fixation and assimilation of atmospheric nitrogen.
- Can double in size every several days under optimal nutrient and water temperate conditions.
- Green manure plant for paddy agriculture for weed suppression and fertility (used extensively in organic duck and rice systems).
- Nitrogen and mineral source for compost making.
- 25-30% Protein, and low in lignin which makes it digestible to many animals, and it’s also nutritious.
- Rich in essential amino acids, vitamins (vitamin A, vitamin B12 and Beta- Carotene), growth promoter intermediaries and minerals like calcium, phosphorous, potassium, ferrous, copper, magnesium etc.
- On a dry weight basis, it contains 25 – 35 percent protein, 10 – 15 percent minerals and 7 – 10 percent of amino acids, bio-active substances and bio-polymers.
- Palatable to: ducks, chickens, pigs, cows, goats, sheep and rabbits and other animals.
- Can increase milk production in cows by 15-20%.
- Azolla is a nutrient feeder and prevents Algal blooms in farm dams, as a result keeping water more usable.
- Can be easily harvested with a scoop net, or grown in enclosed, floating rings which can be pulled to the edge for easy harvest.
- After initial collection/purchase, you get a lifetime supply.
Widely used on crops like Field Crops, Vegetables, Fruits, Plantation, Aromatic, Spice, Commercial crops etc.
Materials Required for 12*4*1 (ft) Azolla bed
- Azolla Bed
- Fresh Water to fill 10-12 cm of bed
- SSP (Single Super Phosphate) 50 gms
- Livestock dung of approx. 5 Kg
- Azolla plants of 0.5 Kg
- Fresh soil of 15-20 Kg
- Mixed micronutrients 50 gms
Azollabed Preparation& Procedure:
- Add 15-20 Kg soil to the bed as first input.
- Add water to the soil ensuring its filled upto10-12 Cm of bed.
- Apply 3-4 Kg of Livestock dung.
- Apply Mixed micronutrients of 30-50 Gms.
- Retain the bed in same condition for next 2 days (Day1, Day2, Day 3).
- Add Azolla mother culture of 0.5 Kg.
- Observation of azolla growth.
- Drain out 25-30% of total water.
- Add 25-30% of fresh water.
- Add 2-3 Kg of livestock dung.
- Add 30-50 gms of mixture of micronutrients.
- Observation of azolla growth.
- Estimation of azolla yield/production.
- Azolla ready to use as cattle/livestock/Poultry feed.
Features of Azollabed:
- Durable, flexible and crack proof.
- Cost effective.
- Easy to manage and also for movement.
Precautionary Measures in Azollabed Preparation:
- Use fresh water for better results.
- Other raw materials to be used as per recommendation.
- Maintain required shade and sunlight.
- Suitable nutrients should be supplied, as and when, nutrient deficiency is noticed.
- Plant protection measures against pests and diseases should be taken as and when required.
- A fresh bed has to be prepared and inoculated with pure culture of Azolla, when contaminated by pest and diseases.